Friday, January 25, 2013

kale & butternut squash pizza

In keeping with our homemade pizza tradition (which we usually make every week or two), this past weekend I made a "traditional" pepperoni pizza for the hubby, and a "more unique" pizza for myself... but of course I snagged a couple slices of his pizza, as I always do.  Because let's face it, while I love the unique kinds I make for myself, there is always something tempting and delicious about a more traditional meaty pizza... or maybe that's just the pregnancy talking. :)  I have had many cravings for sausage/pepperoni/salty meats lately!

I usually don't plan our pizzas too much in advance (although I have a pizza cookbook with some very delicious looking pizzas I need to use), so whatever we have on hand is what gets used.  This time I had kale, roasted butternut squash, and parmesan cheese, so kale & squash pizza it was!

Verdict:  I liked it, but it did need a bit more flavor, so I found it much more tasty with just a little extra sprinkle of salt on the top after it baked.  I'm a big fan of leftover cold pizza for lunch or a snack, and it was very tasty like that too.


kale & butternut squash pizza
 Ingredients:
whole wheat pizza dough for 1 small pizza
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 T. olive oil
1 c. roasted butternut squash
1 c. baby kale leaves
parmesan cheese
dried basil & oregano
pine nuts

Instructions:
I had the roasted squash leftover in the fridge, but to roast it just coat cubes of butternut squash with olive oil, salt & pepper.  Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, or until for tender.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (if you want) after its done baking and stir until evenly coated.

For the pizza, heat the oven to 400.  Roll out the dough as thin as possible (if you want a crispy crust) and bake for about 10 minutes, or until it just starts to turn golden brown.  Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic.  Spread the olive oil and garlic over all the crust and sprinkle with a little salt & pepper.  Top with kale leaves (uncooked), butternut squash, and cheese.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is brown and crispy.  Sprinkle with dried basil/oregano, a little more salt & pepper and pine nuts.  Eat up!

Serves 1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment